Information / Description: Small Group Conversation and Meal with Christo and Estelle Brand
Join Christo and Estelle Brand at their home for lunch or dinner. During the course of the meal, Christo will share the story of his journey with Nelson Mandela – from Prisoner to President – and how the two men stayed in touch right until Mandela passed away and Christo was a guest of the family at his funeral.
His talk will be divided into three sections: Part A – his early years and arrival on Robben Island in 1978; then serve the main course; Part B – Robben Island to Pollsmoor; then serve desert; Part C – Mandela’s release and Christo’s journey with him up until his funeral. Then question and discussion time.
A variety of menu options will be available, depending on the budget and needs of your group.
One option is bobotie, rice, salad and then for desert, Estelle’s famous fruitcake she made for Mandela while he was in prison, and koeksisters which Betsy Verwoerd introduced to Mandela when he visited her.
We will be using a professional caterer. A vegetarian option will always be available.
We can discuss your clients’ drinks requirements. They are welcome to being their own beer and wine.
• Days of Operation: any day subject to Christo’s availability
• Meeting point: the Brand’s home in Tygerdal, 15 minutes from the Waterfront
• Duration: approximately 2 to 3 hours
• Starting time: flexible – lunch normally 1230/1300; dinner 1800/1830
• Christo has built a separate toilet block with 2 toilets
Children of age 8 upwards are welcome
• Christo and Estelle are both double vaccinated
• We can take guests temperatures on arrival if necessary
• The home is open, spacious and well ventilated
• Christo and Estelle will avoid physical contact with guests and share his story at a distance of at least 2 metres from them
• A minimum of 2 and a maximum of 12 guests
• A conversation with Christo Brand
• A meal
• Books – available to purchase on the day